A recent report indicated that dog allergies are on the rise; a surprising 10% of dogs have allergies, and that number is only expected to increase annually.
There are many sources of allergens (including pollen and even food), and many dogs with allergies also experience indoor allergies.
The source of the biggest indoor allergens?
Your carpet. Yikes!
If you share your home with Fido, then you have more than likely experienced a fair share of dirty carpets.
From pet stains to odors to loose fur to muddy paw prints, there’s no shortage of pet-related reasons to clean your carpets.
Unfortunately, not every carpet cleaning method is safe for dogs; have you ever thought, “Does my carpet makes my dog sick?”
How do I know if my dog has allergies?
While there is no guaranteed way to diagnose allergies other than a diagnostic test at your vet’s office, there are many symptoms that may indicate allergies.
- Frequent sneezing
- Itchy, red skin
- Increase in itchy body parts: tail, back, ears, paws
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Excessive licking and /or chewing paws
- Bald patches
- Blisters and ulcers on skin
Dogs with allergies are more prone to infections due to raw wounds from scratching and licking.
Apart from the risk of infections, allergies are just simply unpleasant; finding the root cause of your dog’s allergies can bring him much comfort.
Causes of Carpet Allergies in Dogs
If you are trying to rule out the source of your dog’s allergies, your carpet alone may be the source of multiple allergens.
- Materials in the carpet itself: Just like some humans are allergic to wool, your dog may simply be allergic to the material of the carpet itself.
- Allergens in the carpet or on the carpet: Allergens can find a home in your carpet simply by being tracked inside; studies show that outdoor allergens (like DDT, a pesticide) are found in indoor dust (from within carpet fibers) samples.
- Carpet treatments: We all want a spotless rug, and stain resistant treatments sound like the perfect solution, but sometimes these chemicals (such as perfluorinated compounds or formaldehyde) can lead to allergic contact dermatitis.
- Fleas: Fleas are one of the most common causes of skin allergies in canines – just one bite can causing itching that last up to 2-3 weeks! As unpleasant as it sounds, these critters easily hide in the carpet.
- Dust mites: Many dogs (and their owners!) are allergic to dust mites in carpet products, and unfortunately carpets are a favorite place for the dust mites to call home.
- Molds and Mildews: Mold is another big allergen for both people and their pets; in many mildew-related cases, the molds and mildews may form in the carpet or deep within the carpet padding – making it tricky to detect.
Why do carpets bother dogs more than adults?
While dogs share many allergies with their human counterparts, why does it seem that dogs are more bothered by the allergens found in carpets?
Pets (and crawling infants and toddlers) are more likely to develop problems related to carpet allergies.
It all has to do with proximity to the carpet itself.
A dog spends the majority of his day just inches from the carpet; often he’s sniffing the carpet and taking his afternoon naps right on the carpet.
An adult human interacts much less with the carpet, making it harder for him to inhale the allergens such as dust mites.
A dog or an infant, however, is extremely likely to inhale any allergen that is present in the carpet.
As your dog lays on the carpet, he is having direct skin contact with the carpet and thus the allergen as well.
Hiring a pet-friendly carpet cleaning service will help reduce the allergens in your home and make your pet more comfortable.
With over 30 years of stain-fighting experience, our CleaneR fights odors and stains.
After your carpet is vacuumed and the CleaneR is applied, we dive into the encapsulation extraction, a deep cleaning process in which allergens and dust are extracted from your carpets.
Our system leaves your carpets drier (average dry time 45 minutes to one hour) without leaving any dirt-attracting residue behind.
How can The Carpet Cleaning Company help you?
If you are looking for local carpet cleaners near Cumming, Georgia that will clean your carpets without using the harsh cleaners that further exacerbate your dog’s allergies, contact us today.
Rest easy knowing that all of our treatments are pet- and child-friendly.
Say goodbye to dirty carpets and allergies; say hello to happy dogs and clean carpets!